Endometriosis: Preparing for Your Appointment
With endometriosis, your first appointment will usually be with your primary care doctor or your gynecologist. If seeking infertility treatment, you may be referred out to a specialist optimizing in fertility and reproductive hormones.
Appointments tend to be brief, and it can be difficult to recall all that you want to talk to the doctor about. It's wise to prepare yourself well ahead of your appointment.
What to Expect
Some questions your doctor might ask can include:
- How long have you experienced symptoms?
- How frequently do you experience symptoms?
- Do symptoms seem connected with your menstrual cycle?
- How severe are the symptoms?
- What (if anything) improves your symptoms?
- What (if anything) makes the symptoms worse?
How to Prepare
- Be sure to write down all of the symptoms you are experiencing before hand. Include any and all of the symptoms you're experiencing, even if you have doubts that they are related.
- List out any and all medications, vitamins and supplements that you have taken recently. Write down exact doses and how frequently you are taking them.
- Bring a notepad with you to write down the important information you will receive during your visit.
- If possible, being a friend or family member to accompany you. You'll likely be given a great deal of information during your visit, and it can be a difficult task to try and remember it all. Be sure to take some notes or have your friend do it for you.
- Make a list of all the questions you might have of the doctor ahead of time.
Possible Endometriosis Questions to Ask
- What medications can help endometriosis in my specific case?
- What will best improve my symptoms?
- What side effects might I expect from using medication?
- Would you recommend surgery in my case?
- Will I need medication before and/or after surgery?
- Will my ability to become pregnant be affected by my endometriosis or a surgery?
- Can treatment improve fertility in my case?
- Are there any recommended alternative treatments I can try?
Latest from the Blog
We are proud to announce that our founder Dr. Tamer Seckin, will be honored at the Annual Gala for the American Turkish Society. Every year this event is…
I write this review two days after my extensive excision surgery with the incredible medical magician that is Dr. Tamer Seckin In March, after being diagnosed by a radiologist with a nearly…
Dear Infertility, Listen up! We have kept up a professional relationship for some time now. For the past few years, I have been working as a counselor and advocate with…