Endometriosis: Preparing for Your Appointment
With endometriosis, your first appointment will usually be with your primary care doctor or your gynecologist. If seeking infertility treatment, you may be referred out to a specialist optimizing in fertility and reproductive hormones.
Appointments tend to be brief, and it can be difficult to recall all that you want to talk to the doctor about. It's wise to prepare yourself well ahead of your appointment.
What to Expect
Some questions your doctor might ask can include:
- How long have you experienced symptoms?
- How frequently do you experience symptoms?
- Do symptoms seem connected with your menstrual cycle?
- How severe are the symptoms?
- What (if anything) improves your symptoms?
- What (if anything) makes the symptoms worse?
How to Prepare
- Be sure to write down all of the symptoms you are experiencing before hand. Include any and all of the symptoms you're experiencing, even if you have doubts that they are related.
- List out any and all medications, vitamins and supplements that you have taken recently. Write down exact doses and how frequently you are taking them.
- Bring a notepad with you to write down the important information you will receive during your visit.
- If possible, being a friend or family member to accompany you. You'll likely be given a great deal of information during your visit, and it can be a difficult task to try and remember it all. Be sure to take some notes or have your friend do it for you.
- Make a list of all the questions you might have of the doctor ahead of time.
Possible Endometriosis Questions to Ask
- What medications can help endometriosis in my specific case?
- What will best improve my symptoms?
- What side effects might I expect from using medication?
- Would you recommend surgery in my case?
- Will I need medication before and/or after surgery?
- Will my ability to become pregnant be affected by my endometriosis or a surgery?
- Can treatment improve fertility in my case?
- Are there any recommended alternative treatments I can try?
Latest from the Blog
A who's who of endometriosis experts from around the world are scheduled to present their findings at the Endometriosis Foundation of America's 10th Annual Medical Conference 2019 in NYC on…
Want to learn how to Live Your Best Life With Endo? You'll want to register for The Endometriosis Foundation of America's Patient Awareness Day 2019. For the second year in…
Nancy Randall has traveled the world to compete in beauty pageants. She holds the sparkling crowns of Miss Rio de Janeiro 2003, Miss USA World 2004 and Miss New Orleans…